Updated September 19, 2022
Students may use liquid nitrogen (LN2) for specially registered events and activities held in designated outdoor spaces, in the exterior spaces or courtyards of undergraduate houses. Such events will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.
Students, clubs, organizations, and house communities who request to use LN2 must register their events as part of a student affairs event registration process specifically aligned with LN2 usage, and must adhere to all associated guidelines and processes. Failure to do so will result in the loss of LN2 privileges for houses, clubs, and students involved and may be referred to the Conduct Review Committee as an honor code and policy violation.
The event registration process outlined below can also be found at spa.caltech.edu.
Before registering an LN2 event, participating students must receive LN2 safety training through Caltech's Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) office. Only trained students are permitted to register LN2 events and perform LN2 demonstrations. To arrange for training, please contact Larry Martinez at (626) 395-6727 or the Office of Residential Experience at email@example.com.
- LN2 events are restricted to planned demonstrations for an audience. There must be a clear distinction and demarcation between trained demonstrators and audience members. Audience members are not permitted to handle LN2.
- There must be a clearly defined boundary between the demonstrator(s) and the audience, and the audience must remain at least six feet from the demonstrator(s).
- Only trained students are permitted to handle LN2, and all must be identified in the registration process. LN2 events should be limited to three student demonstrators, unless otherwise specifically approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Other students present at an LN2 demonstration, even those who may be LN2 trained, must remain in the audience.
- A Caltech Security officer or a trained staff member must be present at all LN2 demonstrations. Students registering an event are responsible to secure the agreement of a staff member who will attend and observe the LN2 demonstration and confirm their role in the event registration process. If this staff member expresses any specific directions or concerns during the event, student demonstrators are expected to follow their direction.
- LN2 demonstrations are not permitted at events where alcohol is served.
- Students registering an LN2 event must submit a script that details the sequence of demonstrations they wish to present. This script will be reviewed for approval by a member of the faculty or safety staff, and elements may be revised. The decision of the faculty or staff reviewer is final and is not subject to an appeal or further review. The event must follow the approved script. Deviations or improvisations are strictly prohibited.
- At their discretion, the faculty or safety staff member reviewing the script may request a meeting with the registering student(s) to discuss their plan. Students registering an event should not contact the faculty or safety staff member to lobby for their plan, or to appeal any decision about event approval.
Process for Use:
- The LN2 will be delivered to the event location by Institute staff.
- Students must have a designated LN2 hand truck complete with special bars and hook to move it from place to place after delivery.
- There must be an approved plan for returning or storing the remaining LN2. Students are encouraged to have the remaining LN2 returned the same day.
- Use requires a face shield, gloves, and insulated gloves – these must be purchased by the students and approved by EHS.
- Dispensing is a hazard and must be done by authorized personnel.
- Waivers and agreements must be signed by all involved in advance of the activity.