Caltech Timely Warning Crime Bulletin - Aggravated Assault
This Timely Warning Bulletin is being issued in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Act. The purpose is to provide preventative information to the campus community to aid members from becoming the victim of a crime.
On June 7, 2023, at around 7:30 a.m., while unlocking the Tournament Park parking lot, south of the Braun Athletic Center, Caltech Security officers observed a red Chevy utility van parked in the parking lot. As officers were questioning the individual, the man produced a "samurai"-style sword and charged the officers. The officers retreated to Wilson Ave. and notified the Pasadena Police Department. The suspect fled the area in the van. Pasadena Police searched the area for the individual but were unable to locate him. The department is investigating this incident. Pasadena Police will share additional information as it becomes available. Caltech Security has increased patrols in the area.
The suspect is described as a white adult male in his late '20s, approximately 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing 170 pounds, and with shoulder-length black hair. The suspect was wearing a black shirt with white lettering on the back, black pants, and black shoes. He had tattoos on both sides of his face on his upper cheeks and had a light brown chihuahua dog with him.
Information & Questions:
Anyone with information or questions should contact Caltech Security by calling 626-395-4701.
Caltech Security offers the following basic safety precautions to all members of the community:
- Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
• Report suspicious activity or packages to security.
• Walk with friends or coworkers when possible.
• Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable, choose an alternative.
• If you feel threatened on campus, look for a call box for emergency assistance, or call Security at (626) 395-5000.
• Program the phone number for Caltech Security into your cell phone (626) 395-4701 (non-emergency) or (626) 395-5000 (emergency).